Adsense

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vanilla Ice cream recipe (cook custard base)

I took this recipe from my Phillip ice cream maker manual. It has egg base and it is creamy and delicious. I will be heating the egg and you will need to cool the mixture into room temperature in addition to putting it into fridge to chill. I will usually take my time and spend about a day for it to cool and chill. It takes time to make this recipe but the taste at the end is worth waiting for.

Vanilla ice cream is very versatile. You can mix and match with various types of ice cream. You can mix it with chocolate ice cream, top the ice cream with crush Oreo cookies, drizzle with caramel sauce, strawberry, chocolate and raspberry sauce. Or you can eat it with apple crumble. The combination is endless. Which is why I love making Vanilla ice cream to go with various other combination.

 I tried tweaking the recipe on my own. Initially I do not have Vanilla sugar so i replace with less than half a teaspoon of Vanilla essence. Once i bought the Vanilla pods, scrap out the seeds and then I heat the milk, cream and vanilla seeds together. The smell of using real vanilla is amazing and could not beat the artificially made Vanilla essence. I will write a separate post about the Vanilla pods and what I do with them. Another modification that I did is to heat the milk and cream together. Interestingly I find that the ice cream is thicker this way. Once I finish heating the egg mixture at the end and waiting for mixture to cool. I cover the surface with a baking sheet to prevent skim forming. Usually the egg will continue to cook and thus the texture becomes thicker.

Original recipe from the Philips ice cream maker instruction manual.
Ingredients
2 egg yolks
1 egg
125g caster sugar
5g vanilla sugar (or use less than half teaspoon of vanilla essence)
400ml whole milk
150ml whipping cream (no need beat)
5g corn flour

Instruction
Put egg yolks, caster sugar, vanilla sugar and corn flour into a bowl, Beat with the mixer until the egg yolks are almost white.

Gently heat the milk. Add the heated milk gradually to the egg mixture, while beating with the mixer. When the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, pour the mixture into a pan.

Heat the mixture over moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, while stirring constantly. Make sure the mixture does not boil. If the mixture curdles, mix the ingredients for half a minute with the mixer or in a blender or food processor.

*For me i just pour the mixture into the sieve to remove any small bits of curdling. Cover the surface with baking sheet.


After peeling off the baking sheet and before putting the mixture into the ice cream maker. The black spots are the vanilla seeds. The smell itself is amazing!


Let the mixture cool to refrigerator temperature. Then gently fold the cream through the mixture. Switch on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the cooling bowl.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails