Sunday, November 28, 2010
Vanilla Rasberry Crunchie Ice Cream Recipe
I tried making half of the quantity in the recipe. The taste and smell awesome. But the texture is a little on the rich side. Next time I will use my original Vanilla ice cream with the same combo of rasberry and crunchie bar combination (either with or without egg base).
The steps sounds a bit complicating to a newbie but if you break it into 3 main parts then its easier. 1) Make the Vanilla ice cream 2) Crush the Rasberry 3) Chop the crunchie bar. Mix all together when the vanilla ice cream is ready in ice cream maker.
Vanilla Raspberry Crunchie Ice Cream
250g raspberries (1)
2 tablespoon icing sugar
6 large 3gg yolks
75g caster sugar
284ml cream (2)
1-2 Vanilla pods split (3)
2 x 40g crunchie bar roughly chop
1) Video they uses fresh raspberries but i uses frozen ones which is cheaper than fresh raspberries
2) Video uses heavy cream but i replace with whip cream. I don't think there is a difference in the cream since we do not need to beat the cream.
3) How to split Vanilla pods. This video shows how to make Vanilla blackberry ice cream. In the front part it shows how to split the vanilla pods and scrap out the seeds. I followed how he scrap them out. I wanted to save the vanilla pods to make vanilla extract. So i only uses the seeds in this recipe. When you see black spot on the ice cream - thats the vanilla seeds. If you do not have vanilla pods then can replace with vanilla extract.
1. Place 150g raspberries in a sieve. Press them through with the back of a spoon. Discarding the seeds. Sweeten with icing sugar and add more to taste if necessary.
2. Heat the milk, cream, vanilla pods until nearly boiling point.
3. Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Mix to combine. Pour the milk mixture into egg while stirring continuously.
4. Sieve the custard and discard vanilla pods (if uses the pods. Otherwise can skip this step) into the pot. Medium heat. Warm gently while stirring continuously for about 10 minutes until thicken and coat the back of the spoon. Strain custard (means sieve) into a clean bowl and cover with bruise proof paper (or baking sheet) to prevent skim from forming. Let it cook.
5. Once cool put into freezer for 2 hours and into ice cream maker.
6. When ice cream almost done. Pour in the raspberries juice, raspberries fruit and chop crunchie bar.