Adsense

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Homemade Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread Recipe

I took this recipe from Su Good Sweets

I have some hazelnut which is about less than 100g of the nuts. Quantity is less than 1/3 of the recipe but I decided to make it anyway~! I was curious about the part about the hazelnut oil will come out when there is high friction and heat. Was quiet interesting to really see the nut become tiny bits and when I process it further, oil start to seep out of the nut and become hazelnut butter. The smell of Hazelnut spread is amazing. I was influence to make this when my sis made it herself and recommend it! She wanted to buy Nutella from the supermarket. But when she notice that there is high oil content with lesser hazelnut she decided to make her own Nutella. As usual whatever project she has made has always manage to attract my attention. She found that Nutella hazelnut content is about 18% but this recipe has about 47% hazelnut content.

Actually making my own Nutella doesn't come cheap. A 500g packet of raw Hazelnut itself already cost RM22.50 in Ng Ming Huat bakery shop. Although its pricey I still bought it anyway as I wanted to know how the recipe will work out and its always fun to discover how to make things from scratch. Another good reason to make your own Nutella according to Su Good Sweets blog, she mention that, "As much as I love Nutella, today’s commercial version is actually sugar that’s flavored with hazelnuts and cocoa. You can tell because sugar is first in the ingredient list. And there’s lots of added oil to make it spreadable."

As for my spread, the smell is amazing but the mixture come out a little more watery than I would like. I notice a reader who tried the recipe in the author's blog mention that she only need to add about 1 tbsp oil if we mix the hazelnut long enough to produce hazelnut oil. I will follow the reader advice in my second attempt on the new batch of nuts that I bought.

Ingredient

After spinning a few times. Check out how the hazelnut texture has change and oil oozing out of it.

Once the hazelnut has turn into hazelnut butter, I dump in the chocolate, sugar and oil.

My Chocolate-Hazelnut spread in the jar! Cool and fun project!

Taken form the website:


Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (easy version)
Yield: about 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups)
2 cups whole raw hazelnuts
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
up to 1/4 cup vegetable or nut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place hazelnuts in a single layer on a shallow baking pan. Toast until the skins are almost black and the meat is dark brown, about 15 minutes. Stir the nuts halfway through baking to ensure an even color.
  2. To get rid of the bitter skins, wrap the cooled hazelnuts in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Rub until most of the skins come off, but don’t worry if some remain.
  3. Process nuts in a food processor, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until they have liquefied, about 5 minutes. First, you will get coarsely chopped nuts, then a fine meal. After a little while, the nuts will form a ball around the blade, and it will seem like you only have a solid mass. Keep processing. The heat and friction will extract the natural oils, and you will get hazelnut butter!
  4. When the nuts have liquified, add the sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Slowly drizzle in enough oil to make a spreadable consistency. Since the mixture is warm, it will be more fluid now than at room temperature.
  5. Transfer the spread to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 months. For best results, stir the chocolate-hazelnut spread before using.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails