Mushroom soup. Awesome and delicious! I get the recipe from cookuk. Try it for yourself!
When I eat at western theme restaurant, I always try to order their soup! I feel that the meal is incomplete if I did not manage to taste their creamy soup. And given a choice I will always choose mushroom soup. I also like to match the soup with garlic bread! I still remember during university time when I am desperate for mushroom soup I will drink the Campbell's instant soup - cream of mushroom. It is an instant pack whereby the inside is in powder form. Just add in hot water and you can get instant gratification. However over time it lost its appeal and I still prefer mushroom soup made from scratch.
Now after years of love relationship with mushroom soup, it just comes naturally to me that I should try making one for myself! And off I go googling for a good mushroom soup recipe. I found this website which is easy to follow and they provide blow by blow picture of each step. Look rather simple and I have bay leaf plant at home. A commenter also say that she did not blend the mushroom at the end. I decided that this is it! I went grocery shopping at cold storage and bought white button mushroom. They have small and big ones. Since I wasn’t sure which is best, I took 1 packet of both each. While washing the mushroom I realize that the big ones are better. Cause I have to wash less number of mushroom if all of them were big. Each pack cost me around RM4.50 which is pretty costly. I have the rest of the ingredient. Including the chicken stock.
I tried following the recipe from the website with minor alteration. As the mushroom is rather pricey i reduce the quantity of mushroom from 500 to 300gram.
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 litre hot chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarians)
1 bay leaf
½ cup / 4 tablespoons cream
Salt and freshly ground black
pepper (i substitute black with white pepper)
1 spoon of whip cream
1 mint leaf for decoration
1. I clean the mushroom under a water tap and rub away the dirt. Chop the mushroom into small pieces.
2. Now, heat up the butter in a medium pan and cook the garlic and onions until they're soft but not browned. This should take five to six minutes.
3. The next step is to add the mushrooms, and cook over a high heat for 3 minutes whilst stirring constantly.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, mix well to combine.
Stir in the flour and mix well, making sure all the mushrooms are well coated.
5. Pour in the hot chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the bay leaf and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and leave the soup to cool for a few minutes.
6. I skip the hand blender part. The soup is drinkible but u will be able to munch on the mushroom.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. I pour in a teaspoon of whip cream. And using a long tooth pick i drag the whip cream to create a pattern. I then decorate with mint leaves.
The soup taste awesome. It goes extremely well with garlic bread.
How to make Garlic bread?
How to make chicken stock?