Adsense

Friday, July 29, 2016

How to make Frozen Chicken Recipe

Since the day that I bought my Pensonic Air Fryer, I have toyed with the idea/fantasy of making fried chicken from scratch! The motivation in making the fried chicken is that air fryer uses less oil compare to conventional method and that I could make "instant" chicken (when i freeze the leftover uncook chicken) in minutes! Further the price of frozen food is getting more expensive and we never know what they put into the frozen chicken. I also love this recipe as I could also include in my electric lunch box plans whereby i just air fry in the morning and I pack it straight to work.

Once I have tried successfully, there is no going back to store bought frozen fried chicken anymore! I have made this recipe 3 times within a few weeks, it is that addictive! The chicken came out moist in the inside and crispy on the outside. As I am heavy on the seasoning, the chicken is pack with great flavors.

For the Flour mixture I have adapted from Sonya recipes with variations while I come out with my own seasoning methods which works! I have initially tried the original recipe from Sonya however i may have miss something as the texture of the chicken was not what I was looking for.

I use the buttermilk and let the chicken rest for about half hour for the buttermilk to absorb the flour. This is a crucial steps.

Did I also confess that I love to collect herbs? I could locate most of the herbs under Sing Long Food Products Sdn Bhd which I have bought from Mercato (Pavillion) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This brand is also commonly found in other supermarkets. The prices are more affordable compared to the imported herbs. Aside to Sing Long, I was able to locate herbs in Bake with Yen with very reasonable prices.

I will scope out the necessary amount of flour mixture to another bowl during the dipping.  So that I could store the extra unused flour mixture for another fried chicken projects! Thus I could save time by just prepare chicken season and I could skip the extra steps of preparing the flour mixture.

1. This is how it looks like after seasoning the chicken for few hours in the fridge
 
2. Preparing my dredging stations! I have put the chicken on the wire rack to drain out any excess liquid before dredging starts. The top right corner is the buttermilk substitute made by milk and vinegar

3. I have dredge the chicken and put on the wire wrack on clockwise direction. Notice in the picture some of chicken is white powdery and some are orange color? I need the chicken to look like the orange color version which mans the chicken's flour is "soak" with the buttermilk. Roughly about half an hour or faster

4. I have line the pan with wax baking paper, and pour the leftover flour before putting the chicken on top. Note that I try to ensure that the chicken doesnt touch each other. This is so that it is easier for me to repack once the chicken are frozen solid.
 Recipes:
A) Seasoning the chicken
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1-3 tsp Korean cili powder
some water to let the paste come together

B) Flour mixture - can store the leftovers
300g flour
2 tst mixed herbs
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp white pepper powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

C) Homemade buttermilk recipe- If you don't have the real thing
1 cup hot milk (full cream)
1-2 tbsp vinegar
(mix all together, sieve and you will have buttermilk)

Steps
1. Season the chicken for 2 hours or overnight. If the paste is too thick, then feel free to add water
2. Put together the flour mixture and buttermilk. For the buttermilk, I use the full cream milk powder and mix with hot water before pouring the vinegar. You may use fresh milk but you need to heat it as I notice the vinegar reaction slowed down when using the cold milk.
2. Remove excess seasoning by letting the chicken sit on a wire rack before dipping into the buttermilk, followed by flour mixture and let it rest for half hour on a wire rack.
3. Cook in the air fryer for 180 degree C for 20 min followed by 200degree C for 5 min OR you may store the excess chicken by putting the chicken on a tray line with wax paper. Once frozen, then you may keep in together in a bag.


For Pensonic air fryer, I notice that I need to pour some oil on the chicken to cook successfully. Please try and do let me know how yours turn out!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails